A Brief History
In 1906, Everett Davis became the station agent for Lake Station
on the B&M Railroad in Newbury, NH. His mother, Mindwell Bugby Davis, bought a parcel of land and built a house for them to live in with additional rooms to rent. During the great depression Everett and Florence had four children, one of whom was about to attend college.
In 1932 the Cabins became the solution to their financial hardship.
The first cabin Everett built was 12 (formally, Cabin A) that came from a Sears kit. The business grew and in 1941 they officially incorporated.
As Mindwell continued to purchase surrounding land put up for sale by the railroad, Everett continued to build cabins into the 50's until he had the sixteen that we continue to rent today. When Everett and Florence were gone in 1967 their daughter Muriel continued the business for the next thirty years. Muriel's daughter Joan, her husband Art and their two daughters, Emily and Julia are carrying the business on now.
Cabins 5, 9, 12, and 10 used to be double cabins and each room would be rented to a different family, which is why there are two doors leading into the bathrooms.
The land from the boathouse to the point was purchased in 1942 for $3000.
Granite slabs that were part of the turntable of Lake Station still stand by the swing set.
Some of the doors in the big house and the WC were acquired from the original MV Kearsarge, after Everett bought it after it was retired and scraped it for parts.
The cabins were originally built without bathrooms or kitchens attached and the renters shared an outhouse behind the office. Showers were also a late addition, as the bathrooms did not originally include them.
The cribs of the steamboat docks still lie underwater just off the shores at eitherend of our property.
The rec room used to be a fully functioning restaurant; old menus are currently framed on the walls.